Wednesday, February 4, 2009

His Presence

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul: He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea though I walk the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:1-4

Psalm 23 is one of the most quoted verses of the bible. It is most commonly quoted during funerals, or times of difficulty in ones life. But I have found this verse to be inspirational in my everyday life. Especially when remembering the loving, giving, and caring qualities of my Heavenly Father, Savior, and King. Allow me to expand my understanding.

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He loves me. He feeds me. He cares for me. There is no one like Him that cares for my every need. He provides a job, a family, a home, and a place for me to toil my days – at work.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside the still waters. He is Jehovah Jireh – the God who provides. He is Jehovah Rophe – the God who heals. He is Jehovah Shalom – the God of Peace. He is Jehovah Shammah – the God who is Present. The God who is here - always. The God who promises to never leave me nor forsake, Never turn His back on me. He loves me. I am His pride and joy.

He alone knows the lands of plenty, the streams of living water and life, the mountains of beauty and delight. He knows when I have walked a day, a path, or a life too long. He knows the rest I should have for the today, for tomorrow, and when this body can no longer continue on its own.
If He calls me in the night to sit with Him, I awake. I will sit and listen to His loving voice guide me into conversation with Him. In the morning His Spirit awakens me and guides me to the still waters; a brook abounding in refreshing love notes of providing, caring, giving, guiding, and sacrificing. He bids me come, drink of the living water. Refresh your body, soul, and spirit. Learn of me. Follow me with selfless abandon. Drink, for the journey will be long and hard. Drink, for today you will need the nourishment as we pass through lands filled with hatred, strife, and all manner of wickedness. Drink, and be on your guard, for the land is filled with lions seeking to kill and destroy, seeking to distract and drawy you from the presence of the Almighty Shepherd.

He restores my soul: He leads me in the paths of righteousness, for his name’s sake. He died once and for all for my punishment. “Who, being in the very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped (held onto), but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in the appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death of the cross.” (Phil 2:5-8) He leads me down the trail of tears, down the road that leads to the cross, where I lay my worries, fears, anxieties, and self down - for his name’s sake. Drawing others to His perfect love and everlasting life.

Yea though I walk the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. O, though the path is dark and the terrors of my past haunt my every moment, and though others are slain and fall around me, I will fear no evil. My Shepherd is my guide. He is my comfort. He is my strength. He is my shelter. He is a very present help in danger. He goes before me. He walks behind me. Nothing is allowed to penetrate His loving protection, except that which will make me stronger. Though it may hurt me, though it may wound me, though it may cause me trails of tears and nights of loneliness, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. I know your abiding presence, and I know your power. For Your power is made perfect in my weakness. My moments of wanting, longing, and needing.

O, Father, continue to lead me beside the still waters where I can draw from You the gift of life; living in selfless abandon to Your Holy Spirit’s comfort, teaching, and direction for my life. May the words from my mouth and the mediation of my heart be pleasing to you O God, my Father, my Savior, my Redeemer, and my King.

No comments: