Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12

The new year has finally come. The early rise to the morning has come even faster than the new year, of course that is not surprising since there are less hours before morning than a new year. The house is quiet and the dawn begins to break. What a time to reflect on last year. A time to flip through my journal and read the wondrous works, blessings, trials, triumphs, and prayers of last year. A time to review the many verses that God taught me with, laid on my heart, or counseled me with; a time to reflect on my finite state and God’s infinite, eternal, and glorious state; and a time to reflect on the many prayers that were made. O Lord, teach me to number my days aright as I reflect back on the days of my youth, on the immaturity of my spirit, of the foolish things in my heart, of the weakness of my hands, of the wickedness in my heart, and of the mere small lifespan of my life.

O Lord, may my eyes focus on Your hill, in which my help cometh. May I see the glorious light of Your love which burns for all the world to see. May my lips speak Your praise and proclaim Your Majesty, Your Holiness, and Your Wisdom and may they never falter or fail in sharing You with others in word. O Lord, use my hands and feet. May they be fitted with the preparation of the gospel of peace, may they tread the streets, the suburbs, the cities, the hills, and valleys in search of those bound by the fear of death. May I be an instrument used by You to free others from this bondage of fear and constant state of restlessness and uncertainty.

O Lord, teach me to number my days. May each day be filled with wonder as I discover more and more of You. May my heart be filled with Your Glory and Wonder, broken and spilled out for others to see and know the God of all Creation, the King, the Shepherd, the Son, the Father. O Lord, teach me to number my days as I, also, groan inwardly for the day of redemption, in which “every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord.”

No comments: