Saturday, August 22, 2009

Doubts

I sit here with less than 24 hours until I teach the eighth grade girls at Sunday school tomorrow. I have no fear, but I do have my doubts. Doubts of whether I will be understood, doubts whether my skills and Bible knowledge is enough, doubts about being prepared. What a wonderful mind game Satan can play.

Fortunately for me I am confident in my calling. I know this was not a position I sought. I know that God has grown a love in me for His children that was never there before. I know He grew the understanding of His word. But this confidence does not prevent these attacks; instead they provide the defense I need to withstand the attack. And God is ever faithful, always there; He is the strong tower, He is the mighty fortress filled to the rim with words of wisdom, reminders, and encouragement.

This morning He led me to Philippians, where Paul was in prison and chains for having shared the gospel of Christ with others. He writes;

“It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter?” (1:15-18)

Having prayed through these doubts and read these wonderful words of encouragement, I am strengthen and renewed in my calling. I am once again filled with love; love that He poured into me, love that came from Calvary. Nothing is more powerful than knowing that this message and these words are not mine. That God himself prepared them and He alone has a purpose and intent for each one. In confidence and love I look forward to tomorrows teaching on Esther.

No comments: