Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wrong Turn

John 11:32-33 When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died." When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled.


I am not known for my navigating skills. Even with the best directions I will second guess them, make a wrong turn, turn to early, miss a turn, and invariably end up back tracking. Even with the new modern GPS technology I will still take a wrong turn. Nothing is more frustrating than having that little voice say, “Recalculating, turn left, then turn left, then turn left again” just to place me back on track and heading back in the right direction.

I find this same struggle true in my life and walk with Christ. I have made promises that I will honor God and seek His face in the morning, that I will pray more regularly, that I will not be selfish, angry, or even prideful. I will once again surrender to His Lordship and authority, allowing God control of my life, thoughts, and actions.

And yet, I have made a wrong turn once again. I did it even with the Bible; God’s written directions. Even with the Holy Spirit; my Guide, my Comforter, and my Teacher – those spoken and whispered words forever implanted into my inner being. I did it again.

And "when I saw the place where Jesus was and saw him, I fell at his feet," and wept. (John 11:32 –Mary’s name was replaced with “I”.)

There is nothing more deeply moving than seeing and knowing “the place where Jesus was.” Knowing the undeserved penalty He paid for my life. Knowing that, He died for me. Knowing that, God raised Him from the dead, for me. Knowing that, He sits at the right hand of God, interceding, pleading, providing, and protecting me. Knowing that, He holds back the mighty hand of spiritual wickedness that yearns to be loosed upon this earth. Knowing that, He waits at every corner and every turn; every hill and valley; every pit and alley just so I may seem Him and realign my direction and steer towards the mighty hand of love, grace, freedom, wisdom, and strength. O what a wretched man I am that I can’t even stay the course.

O, Precious Father, my heart weeps upon seeing you. My heart has tasted the depth of Your love. My lips have sampled Your bread of life and spring of living water. And I am saddened once again at my wanderings and miss direction. I am humbled and fall once again at your feet. O Father, it is You I want guiding me. It is You that I want directing my path. It is Your light that I need to see. It is You who should be driving and not me. Precious Father, take control.

No comments: