Thursday, November 13, 2008

Darkness

The dark clouds are in the sky once again. Their dominating presence holding back the bright warmth and dawning of a new day. Their pockets carrying cold rain, bitter blistery wind, and booming thunder. It is cold. It is wet. It is frightful.

Tear drops of rain begin to fall against the grey back drop, rushing downward and spilling across a dry, parched ground. Rain drops whose rhythmic drumming awake the sleepy, send the tired into deep slumber, and cause the timid to hide in fright. The darkness seeps into the house, creeping into the open windows, crawling under the door, boldly entering in from the skylight above. It invades a home. O that the night will come quickly so the darkness will be chased away by the radiance of the light; artificial light that fades in the morning. Artificial light whose power is limited by its source. Artificial light whose brightness dims with each passing moment.

But you, O Lord, keep my lamp burning. You, my God, turn my darkness into light (Psa 18:28). You descend from the heavens. You hold back the clouds. You restrain the falling rain. You hold back the night. Your radiant love is mighty and powerful. It burns as bright as day. It is as a mighty flame. No one can extinguish it and it can not be hidden. It is for all the world to see. O Lord, Your love has no limit and knows no bounds.

It reaches to the bottom of the deepest well. It penetrates the darkest forest. It climbs the highest mountain and swoops among the lowest valleys. It quietly seeps through the tiniest of crevices, and under the door of the darkest heart. It gives sight to the blind and warmth to the weary traveler. My God is mighty to save. My God turns my darkness into light. My God lives and reigns forever. He will never leave me nor forsake me.

He will turn my darkness into light. He will cause me to see and know the things of heaven. He will restore my spirit. He will refresh my soul. He will pick me up when I have fallen. He will gently lift me from the deepest pit. He will bandage my wounds and love my broken heart. He will quench my thirst and He will feed my hunger. My God is…the Lord, and there is no other. “He” forms the light and creates darkness, “He” brings prosperity and creates disaster. “He” is the Lord, who does all these things. (Isaiah 45:6-7)

No comments: