Friday, July 17, 2009

Love

I have loved thee with an everlasting love.
Jeremiah 31:3

“I have loved thee with an everlasting love” brings to mind such a beautiful love between a husband and a wife. A pure love, undefiled, selfless, generous, kind, thoughtful, and caring. A love that says “til death do us part.” A love that speaks no angry words and knows and speaks sweet words of love and encouragement. A love that gives to its beloved and says, “Take. This is mine and I give it to you.” A love that longs to please and is satisfied in that giving.

If you know God’s love, you know this pure, holy, undefiled, selfless, kind, thoughtful, bountiful, caring, and sacrificial love. His love is so pure that I can never repay it. His love is so kind that my generosity will never merit against it. His love is pure, holy, and undefiled and my love will never match it. His love is bountiful, caring, and selfless and my love will never compare to such selflessness and kindness. Yet, He loves me “with an everlasting love.” His love endures. His love died for me, endured death, and lives forever. His love longs for my love.

His love rises early in the morning and waits for me to awake. His love waits patiently for me to speak and acknowledge His presence. His love longs to talk about the activity of my day. His love is selfless in His providing for my basic needs. His love smiles as I leave and start a new day, but wonders when I will spend time with Him. His love hovers over me and clings to me like the cloths I wear, but I never noticed His enduring presence. His love looks on as I struggle through difficult people and problems. His love reaches out to hold my hand and longs to whisper words of wisdom and advice in my ear, but I don’t see or hear Him. His love patiently waits for me.

His love longs to please in the selfless giving of time. As my calendar is freed with canceled appointments He longs to talk with me over lunch, but I never noticed His presence in the car. Instead the news of the day, the phone has rung, or the songs of this world enticed my mind and consumed my newly found free time. Yet undaunted He waits. His love gives through the selfless acts of kindness of others once again asking patiently for my attention and I didn’t see Him.

His love protects me as I travel home, yet as I missed the speeding car that ran a red light I never noticed His presence. Once home I drop my bag and purse and plop my tired body in a chair and turn on the television. His love continues to call to me, but I don’t hear Him. His love whispers words of love and kindness, they go unnoticed. His love waits for me as I finish the day, but I walk past and fall into bed.

“His love is everlasting.” When will I notice? When will I see all that He has and is and will continue doing for me? When will my cold heart burn with the fire of His love? When will I know His very presence moment by moment, morning by morning, and day after day? When will this selfish heart break open and spill out its love for the One who loved me first? When will this heart give its love to the Giver and Provider of all love? When will I?

O Precious Father, may Your love never grow cold within me. May I always know Your intimate presence. May I always long to spend time with You. May the deepest yearnings of my heart surface to the top and cry, “Abba Father. You who loved me first fill my every thought with Your enduring love.” May I know from whence I came. May I long never to be the same. May my thoughts and selfishness be tamed by Your pure and holy love. O Father, may I share Your love in return with equaled devotion and cry out that I am unworthy of Your kindness and caring. Fill my longing with You. Fill my yearning with You. Fill my desire for love with You. Fill my entire being with You and may every sense of my being know Your everlasting presence and enduring love.

No comments: