Monday, December 15, 2008

Am I a Samson?

Teach us to number our days, that we may present to you a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12 (NASB)

The Sunday school lesson this past Sunday was on the story of Samson. How he was set apart by God, how he was to conduct his life, how God would use Samson to free the Israelites from their captives, the Philistines, and how Samson, though chosen, chose not to live his life in accordance with God’s instructions. After reading this story the question to myself was, “Am I a Samson?”

Over the past three weeks two colleagues have passed away, unexpectedly. And yet one colleague has been graciously spared of death twice in nine years. With each death I am reminded that I do not know the day of my death. I am not sure I want to know. I am also reminded that I serve a risen Savior. I am reminded that I have a hope and a future. I am reminded that I am a wretched man, a man of unclean lips, and that I am not worthy to even enter the presence of the KING. And yet, he offered me eternal life. How have I repaid that debt?

Am I a Samson? Am I doing what I want to do and calling on God in my times of need? How am I repaying my debt? Am I trampling over the grace that was given me? Am I reading the Bible and only consuming wisdom and not tasting the knowledge, the beauty, and the love that God has for me?
O Holy Fire of conviction let not my heart walk away from this lesson unchanged. Sear the gapping hole in my heart that bleeds through and weakens my strength for service to You, and burn within me a reminder that I am a child of grace, that my life is not my own. Create in me a child like heart of unconditional love whose only desire is to please You, my KING.

No comments: